Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Sketchbook Tuesday

Well, hello there.  Let's just get out the most terrifying aspect of this blog and stare it right in the face, shall we?
A recent page from my sketchbook.
Years ago, I read a magazine interview with children's book author/illustrator Mo Willems, wherein he mentioned how unfortunate it is that most adults don't draw.  He pointed out that people don't stop playing basketball when they realize they're not going to be professionals, but that's exactly what we do with drawing - somewhere between childhood and adulthood, we decide we're no good at it and then we quit.  And we shouldn't.  (He says basically the same thing in this NPR story.)  While it struck me, and I wholeheartedly agreed, I didn't do anything about it myself.

And then, one day recently, I saw this:

You can buy it here, at Wit & Whistle.
It was all the permission I needed to get out my sketchbook and draw something every day.  Even if it sucked.  So I did ... for a while.  But then life, as it happens, happened.  And I got too busy.  Which is a lame excuse, even if it's my only one.  Which brings us here.  I have this theory that if I decide - and promise - I'm going to, say, post something from my sketchbook every Tuesday, that I will find the time to actually put something in my sketchbook to post.  Because you'll be expecting it.  And I certainly don't want to let you down.

So that's what I'm going to do.  Post something from my sketchbook every Tuesday.  
Even if it sucks.  
Because it's good for me.  

And maybe - just maybe - it will inspire you to pick up your own sketchbook and start drawing.  
Even if it sucks.  
Because it's good for you, too.

1 comment: