Monday, January 13, 2014

Make it Do or Do Without: Orange Chair Gets a Makeover

I have this chair.  It's one of my very favorite chairs ever.  I inherited it from my college roommate when she got married, many years ago (hi, Katie!) and I have loved it ever since.  Because it's orange. Because it's old.  Because it makes me think of my friend.  And even though we have two vintage orange chairs given to us by good friends, this is the one we just call "Orange Chair."


It's seen better days.



As much as I love this chair, I have no interest in re-upholstering it, no matter how easy that tutorial makes it look.  I happen to have some canvas fabric in fun patterns, so I decided to patch it instead!


First, I cut my fabric into squares.  Then, I folded and pressed the edges, like so:






My best tips for a project like this?  Put on some music that puts you in a mellow groove (today's sanity was brought to you by Guster's album "Easy Wonderful").  Take deep breaths. If you think you've made a mistake, you probably have - take the time to pull it off the sewing machine, check it out, and fix it if you need to.  And pin like crazy.




From start to finish, this took me just a little bit over the length of the album I was listening to.  Orange chair will live to see another day, and I couldn't be happier.



3 comments: